This tasty, healthy recipe from A Spicy Perspective is one of my favorites! It’s so easy to make and can be either vegetarian or vegan. I usually make the vegan version and serve with basmati rice.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cream or 13 ounce can of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-3 dried Thai chilies, chopped
- 2 – 14 ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Add the oil to a skillet and place over medium heat. Sautee the onions, garlic and ginger until soft, 3-5 minutes, then remove from heat. Place the onion mixture into a food processor, along with the cream (or coconut milk,) all spices, honey, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and puree until smooth.
- Pour the curry blend into the slow cooker, then add the chickpeas and chopped sweet potato. Mix well. Place the lid on the slow cooker, and turn on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Once the sweet potatoes are soft, serve warm over basmati rice or with Indian style flat bread (naan or chapatis.)
Enjoy! Leave me feedback on this recipe in the comments section, or tag me on social @philippakarr.